Friday 29 July 2011

Interview with Nykolai Aleksander


Painting since 2002, Nykolai Aleksander’s work has been published in various books, like Ballistic Publishing's "Expose" and "Exotique" series, Focal Press & 3DTotal's "Digital Art Masters" and "Digital Painting Techniques" series, as well as numerous magazines such as Advanced Photoshop, Fantasy Art China, INTEL Visual Adrenaline, and 2Dartist. She’s been awarded for her work at CGSociety, 3DTotal, IT'S ART, and GFX Artist, and was nominated for the CG Excellence Award 2009 at the CG Overdrive Expo in Singapore. All in all though, she’s really just a 6-year-old who was let loose with a box full of (virtual) crayons...


1.   Tell us about your artwork.

Well, let’s see… I work both traditionally and digitally, and while my oil paintings are usually monochrome portraits or realism with a surrealistic twist, my digital paintings - other than being portraits - tend towards heightened realism, and are usually in colour.

2.   Why did you choose fine art and illustration, and what do you hope to achieve with it?

      I didn’t really choose it; it chose me. It just feels right for me. I’m not a full on fine artist, and neither an illustrator in the true sense of the word. A bit of both, sometimes more, sometimes less. And I don’t know what I want to achieve with it other than be happy with what I do, and perhaps make some other people happy with it, too.

3.   Is there an underlying theme or message in your work?

      There is, but it varies from piece to piece. I think the one red line that can be traced through most of my work is “the story behind”. I don’t enjoy painting something just for the sake of painting it. I need to know what’s behind it all. What’s the background story, what does the person (real or fictional makes no difference) I am painting have to say. Where have they been, where are they going, and what are they thinking. And it’s those stories I try to capture, and it’s up to the viewer to read them.

4.   I was very impressed to learn that you are completely self-taught. Tell us about your learning process, and particularly how your work evolved as a result of it.

      Mhh… there’s not much to say other than that I was (and still am) painting every day of the year. Studying anatomy, lighting, colour theory, you name it. And if you do that and keep at it, eventually you will get better. Which is exactly what happened, I got better over time. And the learning never stops. Far from it.


The Lost Dream - Digital Painting

5.   Of the artwork you’ve created, do you have a favourite?

      I really can’t answer that.

6.   How is creating fantasy art different from creating other genres?

I don’t know, to be honest, because I don’t see my work as fantasy art per se. I paint realism with a touch of surreal, or “fantasy” - but not the typical full on double-rainbow of fairytale fantasy.

7.   What do you find most rewarding in the creative process?

      Finishing a piece and being happy with it.

8.   What do you find most challenging in the creative process, and how did you overcome it?

      It’s always challenging in one aspect or another, and you never overcome it. You just learn to adapt, play and make the best of what’s on your plate, or canvas in this case.

9.   What have you done to promote and market your artwork, and what advice would you give to other artists?

      Nothing, actually. I was in the lucky position to have it promoted for me, in a manner of speaking. Various book and magazine publishers approached me over the years wanting to feature my work or asking me to write tutorials. It got my work out there, and just snowballed from there. However, I am on a number of networking and art sites, and that always helps to get your work out there, especially if you are active.

Monarch - Oil on Canvas (Metamorphosis)

10. Who, do you imagine, would be your ideal client?

      Anyone who has at least a marginal understanding of the creative process.

11. What advice would you give to help others build the skill and confidence required to produce fantasy art?

      I don’t see how fantasy art would be any different from any other art, but the answer would be practice, and patience. That’s pretty much it, as boring and tedious as it sounds. Learn about anatomy, learn about lighting, colours, perspective, composition, etc. even if you don’t want to go into realism. Knowing how things should look, and knowing how to make them look right is a solid basis for all kinds of styles. There’s no easy way, and no way around that. You have to. Confidence comes with time and afore mentioned practice.

12. Tell us a little about any good art you’ve seen recently.

      Oooh… at the moment I really rather enjoy the work of Loic Zimmermann, who also goes by the online nickname of “e338”. His very unique style, use of colours and a fine eye for subject matter and composition are just fantastic. Another artist I was recently stunned by is Joe Fenton. His pencil and ink pieces are out of this world.

13. What are you doing now?

      At the moment, I’m working on two projects that are both taking quite some time to complete. One is a picture story book by the title of “Of Light and Dust”, and the other is a series of ten large scale black and white oil paintings entitled, “Metamorphosis”.

14. Describe your art in one sentence.

      It’s the colours I feel that let me paint the things I cannot see.

15. Where can we find you and your art?

      My most comprehensive profile online is probably my Facebook page, as it has everything from paintings to sketches and painting videos, as well as other things I’ve done over the years, and it’s updated regularly, too.

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Interview with Jeremy Robinson


Jeremy Robinson is the author of eleven novels including Pulse, Instinct, and Threshold the first three books in his exciting Jack Sigler series. His novels have been translated into nine languages. He is also the director of New Hampshire AuthorFest, a non-profit organization promoting literacy in New Hampshire, where he lives with his wife and three children.

1.     Tell us about ‘The Antarktos Saga’.

The Antarktos Saga takes place in the universe I created for my novel, Antarktos Rising, but begins twenty years earlier. While the books feature characters from Antarktos, the main character is new. Solomon Ull Vincent is the first and only child born on Antarctica, a land secretly imbued with supernatural power by an ancient enemy of mankind that lives beneath the surface. As a result, young Solomon is born with a strange connection to the land, and immunity to its ferocity - he can’t feel the cold. When he returns to Antarctica as a young teen, he’s kidnapped and dragged underground, where he’s subjected to awful tortures and forced to fight, and kill, to survive. His spirit is broken and he becomes a hunter, the last hunter, for mankind’s greatest enemy - the half human, half demon, Nephilim.

2.     Why did you write this series, and what do you hope to achieve with it?

Antarktos Rising has always been one of my favourite books, and is perhaps my bestselling book to date. I’ve always wanted to expand the story and get into the Nephilim world in a deeper way. The Last Hunter is my way of really firming up the mythology I’ve created, making it even more horrible than before, which is always fun for me.

3.     Is there an underlying message in ‘The Antarktos Saga’?

I think the underlying message is one of redemption and forgiveness. We see this in the first book and again in future books. Redemption and forgiveness are considered weak by the Nephilim society; but in truth, they’re far more powerful than anyone realises.


4.     What is your strongest memory of your childhood, and how has it helped to define your work?

My strongest memory is of doing what I do now, being creative in solitude. I would spend Saturday mornings sketching and watching Godzilla. And that’s exactly what I have Solomon doing at the beginning of book 1. In fact, most of those first few chapters are straight out of my childhood, so it was great fun to write.

5.     Before becoming a novelist, you illustrated comic books and wrote screenplays. How influential has this expertise been in your development as a novelist?

What I discovered over the years, is that all of these things I love doing are exactly the same thing - telling stories, creating worlds, using my imagination. Even the art form I chose - comic books, is telling stories through images. Starting in comics and moving to screenwriting was an easy thing. Both are visual mediums. But shifting to novel writing was hard and took years of practice. There are no images to back up the words, so I had to adjust to conjuring images in readers’ minds through description, which is frowned upon in screenwriting.

6.     Of the characters you’ve created, do you have a favourite? If so, why this particular character?

My favourite is actually Solomon from The Antarktos Saga. He’s based, in part, on me as a kid. He grew up in the same time period, watches the same shows and even has the same best friend. He’s a lot like me. But he’s also based on my son, whose real name is Solomon. The Solomon in the book looks like my son and has the same wonderful innocence as my son. So this character is really a combination of me as a child, and my son, who is still a child. It makes him very easy to write and that personal connection seeps into the writing and most readers love the character as much as I do.

7.     How is writing fantasy different from writing other genres?

It’s freeing and fun. In my science thriller novels, I have to explain EVERYTHING! There can be no mystery about how something exists. If I come up with some kind of horrible man-eating creature, I have to explain how it exists using real science. This is sometimes a challenge, and I couldn’t do it without professional help. But in a fantasy story, I can just say, “there are egg-shaped man-eating monsters with jaw-like jaws” and readers don’t need to know how such a thing is scientifically possible, they just say, “Great!” and enjoy the story.

8.     What do you find most rewarding in the writing process?

The most rewarding thing about writing isn’t the writing itself, it’s hearing from someone that they enjoyed the book. Or even better, the book moved them. The Antarktos Saga has definitely received the highest praise of all my books and I think that’s because readers get emotionally involved. It’s strange, but I like to hear my writing affected someone so much that they wept. Means it was powerful.

9.     What do you find most challenging, and how do you overcome it?

Burnout is my biggest problem. It’s nothing like writer’s block, which is never a problem. But I write 4 – 5 books a year right now, publish several of them myself, market them all, design covers, the website, social media, etc. All on my own. So I occasionally get to a point where doing anything feels like I’ve been sucked dry. The way to combat it, is to put creative energy back in. Read a good book, see a good movie, go someplace inspiring, or on an adventure. 


10.  I own a copy of ‘POD People’, which helped me with my own publishing. What advice would you give to new authors with regards to publishing and marketing?

Things have changed A LOT since POD People came out. There are still some good nuggets of marketing advice in there, but marketing has become all about social media, which drives me nuts, but works. Authors need to be active on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc. People support authors they “know” and social media is the best, and quickest, way to give people access to you. Of course, you also have to be likable, so if you’re kind of a jerk, maybe skip it. J

11.  Who, do you imagine, would be your ideal reader?

This is a hard question because I get fan mail from eleven year olds and sixty year olds, men and women. So there isn’t a specific demographic for me. A better way to describe my ideal reader is someone who doesn’t take everything seriously. Someone looking to have some fun, who understands that what they’re reading is fiction and not my attempt to convince someone to believe in God, or evolution, or that Nephilim walk the Earth, or that I’m a left-wing nut job, or a Neo-Con. I write about everything imaginable from often opposing perspectives, but there always seems to be someone who thinks I’ve got an agenda beyond entertainment, which I don’t. “Fun people,” is the short answer.

12.  Would you like to see your fantasy series adapted for the screen? If so, do you have any aspirations, or reservations, regarding this?

Absolutely. I’ve done the movie side of things so I have no problems with stories being adapted for the screen. I know things have to be cut, sometimes changed for a different audience. The process excites me. I suppose my only concern is one of quality. If I ended up with something like The Last Airbender I would be sad. But I’ve heard a LOT of authors complain about how their story was changed; and I’m not like that, at all.

13.  What are you doing now?

Too much; I’m currently finishing a horror novel under a pen name, which isn’t publicly known, so I can’t give the title. Then I’m writing the next book in The Antarktos Saga, The Last Hunter – Ascent. In October, I have a humorous book coming out entitled, The Ninja’s Path – Inspirational Sayings For The Silent Assassin. And then I’ll start work on the next hardcover novel, Island 731. Oh, I also have four Chess Team novellas coming out in the next few months. So, just a little busy!

14.  Tell us a little about a good fantasy book you’ve read recently.

You know, I don’t read a ton of fantasy. I watch every fantasy movie and TV show there is, but my reading time is so limited I mostly read the books that are sent to me by authors and publishers. The last fantasy novel I read, and really enjoyed was Hinterland by James Clemens.

15.  Describe ‘The Antarktos Saga’ in one sentence.

Solomon Ull Vincent, the first and only child born on Antarctica, battles the evil within himself while using his strange powers to defend mankind from an ancient, corrupting enemy - the Nephilim.

16.  Where can we find you and your books?

Best place to start is my website: www.jeremyrobinsononline.com. Sign up for the newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest releases. But the books are all available via Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. If a retailer doesn’t have the book in stock, they can order them.

Related links:

Amazon

Interview with Kevin Baldeosingh


Kevin Baldeosingh is a newspaper columnist who deals with issues ranging from philosophy, literature, science, social psychology, religion, pedagogy, economics, and policy matters. In 20 years as a professional writer, has written over 2,000 newspaper articles, over 30 periodical articles and papers, 20-plus short stories, 3 novels, and a history textbook. His novels are: The Autobiography of Paras P (Heinemann Caribbean Writers Series, 1996); Virgin's Triangle (Heinemann Caribbean Writers Series, 1997); and The Ten Incarnations of Adam Avatar (Leeds: Peepal Tree Press, 2005). This last is the only work of fiction by an Anglophone Caribbean writer that covers five centuries of Caribbean history. His most recent fiction has been included in the short story collection Trinidad Noir (Akashic Press, 2009). In May 2011, CSEC History, a textbook he has co-authored with Dr Radica Mahase, will be published by Oxford University Press.

In 2007, his one-act play, The Comedian, was one of the 4 winning plays in the National Drama Association’s playwriting contest. Kevin was also one of 15 prize-winning finalists in a 2007 international essay competition, organized by the US-based TRACE Institute, on official corruption and how to prevent it. He is a co-founder and chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Humanist Association, the only organization of its kind in the Anglophone Caribbean. He is also vice-chair for ASPIRE (Advocates for Safe Parenthood: Improving Reproductive Equity), a lobby group seeking clarification and updating of Trinidad and Tobago’s laws on abortion in order to reduce health risks and maternal mortality associated with unsafe abortions. He was regional Chairperson for the Commonwealth Writers Prize (Canada/Caribbean) for 2000 and 2001. At present, he works for the Trinidad Express as a freelance writer and columnist.



  1. Tell us about ‘The Ten Incarnations of Adam Avatar’.

It’s about a human being who dies every half-century and is reborn in a new body, initially with no memory of his/her past lives. 


  1. Why did you write this book, and what do you hope to achieve with it?

I wanted to explore the question of how our identity is affected by our situation – whether we’re male, female, rich, poor, black, white etc.




  1. Is there an underlying message in ‘The Ten Incarnations of Adam Avatar’? 
If any, that being human encompasses many conditional conditions.



  1. I believe you are a humanist, with a deep sense of social responsibility. Has this helped you to create this work, and if so, how?

Yes, because I’m not tied to any ideology, religious or otherwise, and I feel impelled to use whatever gifts I have to improve people’s lives.



  1. Of the characters you’ve created, do you have a favourite? If so, why this particular character? 
Avatar himself and, within the novel, the servant girl character, because she most embodied the traits of a Caribbean individual who overcomes adversity.



  1. How is writing science fiction or fantasy different from writing other genres?

The science fiction and fantasy author has to be very well grounded in reality, logic and empiricism, or else it’s impossible to break reality’s rules and still maintain the reader’s suspension of disbelief.



  1. What did you find most rewarding in the writing process? 
The sense of creating a world.



  1. What did you find most challenging in the writing process, and how did you overcome it?

Just the discipline of sitting down every day to write. I set a schedule.


  

  1. What have you done to promote and market your book, and what advice would you give to other authors? 
I’ve gone to book fairs, spoken to publishers and editors, while also spreading the word on my personal network through the Internet.



  1. Who, do you imagine, would be your ideal reader?

Someone who is seeking both information and entertainment.



  1. What advice would you give to help others build the confidence required to write their first book? 
Learn the craft.



  1. Would you like to see your book adapted for the screen? If so, do you have any aspirations or reservations regarding this?

Yes. Only that a filmmaker stays true to the story.



  1. Tell us a little about a good science fiction or fantasy book you’ve read recently. 
The last books I read weren’t recent – Harry Potter and Phillip Pullman.



  1. What are you doing now?

I am working on my fourth novel.



  1. Describe ‘The Ten Incarnations of Adam Avatar’ in one sentence. 
A novel covering five centuries of history.



  1. Where can we find you and your book?

Sunday 24 July 2011

Interview with Jason Matthews


Jason Matthews lives in Truckee, California with his wife and teen daughters. He writes books, paints houses, skis, loves dogs and enjoys coaching European football - soccer. Life experience and the universe has fascinated him enough to write novels on the subjects: The Little Universe and Jim's Life. Jason also enjoys the fruits of the Internet, helping others create online platforms, making free websites and selling products such as ebooks. His guides include: How to Make, Market And Sell Ebooks All for Free, How to Make Your Own Free Website: And Your Free Blog Too, and Get On Google Front Page.

Jason also does Skype visits. If your club reads any of his books and would like a Skype visit, just contact him via his websites to arrange an author chat.

  1. Tell us about ‘The Little Universe’.
The Little Universe is about the amazing discoveries that are possible with a universe at your fingertips. Imagine being able to observe any star or planet no matter how far away. Imagine finding life on planets and then having the ability to accelerate universal time and watch it evolve from primordial soup to advanced life forms, even to intelligent alien worlds. Imagine what you could find.

  1. Why did you write this book, and what do you hope to achieve with it?
Growing up, I used to think about the vastness of space and wonder how many other worlds must exist beyond ours, especially planets that are so far away it seems impossible we could ever know about them. Then I thought of a science project where a miniature, self-enclosed universe is created including powerful cameras set in place to see any corner within it. Then the ideas really started rolling! I hope to achieve some answers to the deeper questions in life, and our place in the universe.

  1. Is there an underlying message in ‘The Little Universe’?
A paradox of the universe is that everything seems so big and far away, yet all life is actually connected, as Quantum Physics is beginning to understand. One major lesson in a human lifetime is discovering this connection. You may call the underlying factor many things; but I hesitate to use the word, God, because that word carries so many more varied meanings to different people. In The Little Universe, life is a soul experience and a chance for soul development that happens within our relationships and personal events, which are designed to assist in genius ways.


  1. Of the characters you’ve created, do you have a favourite? If so, why this particular character?
There is an alien called The Grandmother who lives on a discovered planet of seemingly primitive people within The Little Universe. She is a telepathic guide for those who seek assistance through meditation, prayer and dreams. She's a very wise and tuned-in spirit. I wish I had more of her understanding sometimes as I stumble my way through my own existence.

  1. How is writing science fiction or fantasy different from writing other genres?
I also write non-fiction in the form of how-to books. To me, those are much easier than my fiction because I already know all the parts, or can research what I need to know. With my novels, there's often much that I don't understand or see clearly as I'm initially writing. At first there is no beginning, middle and end, but there are just a series of parts. It's more of a jigsaw puzzle compared to the non-fiction. Over time, the story usually unfolds like a flower to me. Only then can I see the beginning, middle and end.

  1. What did you find most rewarding in the writing process?
The old saying, 'Why do you climb a mountain? Because it's there,' comes to mind. I didn't think I would write novels as a kid growing up. Then these stories got stuck in my head as ideas that felt like they had to be expressed. I doubted if I was up to the task, and they were quite large tasks that took years. But when they were finally done and when I heard from absolute strangers, saying how much they enjoyed the novels, then it felt like I had really accomplished something.

  1. What did you find most challenging, and how did you overcome it?
Writer's block or not knowing what comes next in the story is incredibly frustrating. Sometimes I'll complain in journal entries like, 'What the hell happens next in this story? I wish I knew what happens to this character!' Sometimes the answers come within minutes, but often they don't come for months. When I'm most blocked, it's usually because I need to learn certain things in my own life that will help with what I'm attempting to write.

  1. What have you done to promote and market your book, and what advice would you give to other authors?
Thankfully, the Internet has tons of free resources for networking and marketing. I created ebooks and uploaded to all the major retailers like Amazon. I created websites and blogs and became fairly active with them. I joined forums for writers and readers, and I also got into Facebook, Twitter and any social media site that felt worthwhile. All of these things are totally free of cost, and that's the best part. This effort was the background for my first non-fiction title, How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks All for Free. My advice for other authors is to build your online platform as much as possible with free resources. Be active and visible, networking as much as time allows. Blog, blog, blog. Get a free blog with a good company like Wordpress or Blogger.


  1. Who, do you imagine, would be your ideal reader?
My ideal reader would be a film producer like James Cameron who recognizes the potential for both The Little Universe and the sequel, Jim's Life, to be made into blockbuster movies. The other ideal readers are people who enjoy stories about the mysteries of life, our place in the universe, and those who feel good knowing we're all in this together with unique talents, experiences and pieces to share in the big puzzle.

  1. What advice would you give to help others build the confidence required to write their first book?
Mountains get climbed one step at a time. Immense structures get built one brick at a time. Books get written one sentence at a time. Anyone with an interesting story to tell can be an author. It just takes effort and time. When you feel inspired, write. Try to write a bit everyday. A month or two later, you might be surprised how much great material you've got on paper.

  1. Would you like to see your book adapted for the screen? If so, do you have any aspirations, or reservations, regarding this?
I believe the elements in my novels are perfect for the big screen. They have incredible visuals of alien worlds, futuristic inventions, light forces within living things, and they also have deeper meanings for thoughtful discussions. Hopefully the movies will help bring people closer together.

  1. Tell us a little about a good science fiction or fantasy book you’ve read recently.
The book I'm currently reading is by an Indie author and hasn't yet been published, but it feels like a real winner. It's called Ripple, about dolphins and the hidden work they do to better the planet. It takes the reader into the minds of dolphins and the angelic beings that watch over them from other galaxies. Very trippy stuff. You can currently only read it through Authonomy, but look for it to be published someday by author, Tui Allen.

  1. What are you doing now?
Now that I have five titles for sale as both ebooks and paperbacks, I'm spending my time marketing online. I'd like to begin the third novel and have a completed trilogy with room for more books; but the ideas just aren't flowing, so I believe the universe is telling me to market now, write later.

  1. Describe ‘The Little Universe’ in one sentence.
What a tough request! The Little Universe is about discovering the biggest mysteries of life, by simultaneously looking outward into the cosmos and deeply within ourselves.

  1. Where can we find you and your books?
You can find me at my home in Truckee, California or on my websites. You can find my ebooks at every major retailer and the paperbacks through Amazon and CreateSpace.

Related links:
 

Thursday 21 July 2011

Rush - Time Machine 2011


On 25th May, I had the pleasure of being entertained by three virtuoso musicians: guitarist Alex Lifeson, drummer Neil Peart and bassist Geddy Lee – a belated birthday present to myself. The venue was London’s O2 Arena, and I was 4th row, centre-stage watching my favourite rock band: Rush, on their 2011 Time Machine Tour. I was close enough to the stage during the show, to wonder if I had been singed by some of the pyrotechnics. Past, present and future came together onstage as Rush performed to sheer perfection, their classic hits including the entire ‘Moving Pictures’ album, as well as new material from their forthcoming ‘Clockwork Angels’ album. Although I have been a Rush fan, since I first heard ‘The Spirit of Radio’ on the radio back in 1979, this was the first Rush concert I had been to. OK, so I don’t get out much… Bite me.


For anyone who hasn’t heard of Rush, it may be worthwhile to read what Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia, has to say about them. And no fan should be without the excellent ‘Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage’ DVD, released in 2010. It is one of life’s great mysteries that this phenomenal band has yet to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, despite over 40 years of professional activity during which they achieved 24 gold, 14 platinum, and 3 multi-platinum records, with estimated album sales of over 40 million units.


Regarding ‘Time Machine’, subtitled: ‘The Future As It Ought To Have Been’, lyricist Neil Peart relates how he had an idea for a fictional world that would make a great setting for a suite of songs that told a story. An avid science fiction fan, Neil Peart proposed a ‘steampunk’ approach. He described ‘steampunk’ as a genre of science fiction pioneered by authors such as his friend, Kevin J. Anderson, as a reaction against the dehumanised, alienated and dystopian societies portrayed by ‘cyberpunk’ futurists. 


Unlike ‘2112’ and ‘Red Barchetta’, both set in what Neil Peart described as a “darker kind of imagining, for dramatic and allegorical effect,” ‘Time Machine’ is inspired by the steampunk definitions: “The future as it ought to have been,” or “The future as seen from the past,” citing the scenarios imagined in ‘20,000 Leagues Under the Sea’ by Jules Verne. The results left me speechless: stage and lighting design evocative of the Victorian age, comical short films that transported me to a parallel universe and music… such incredible music.


The concert began with ‘The Real History of Rush’, a satirical documentary that presented a fictitious band called ‘Rash’, playing a polka version of ‘Spirit of Radio’ in the 60s, before being transported via a time machine to 1979 where I found Rush onstage at the O2 Arena, performing the much-loved song. You’ll note from my photographs, that Geddy Lee wore a ‘Rash’ T-shirt on the night. 


The show was presented in two halves. In the first, Rush gave us stunning performances of tracks spanning their whole career. After a brief interval, came ‘Moving Pictures’, my favourite Rush album. All 7 songs were perfectly rendered before Neil Pert wowed the audience with his reinvented drumming style in a blistering drum solo exploring progressive rock and jazz themes. Throughout this stunning performance, his new drum kit revolved 360 degrees showcasing his virtuoso skill. Frankly, I have no idea where this man got the energy. In fact, all three members of Rush seemed to possess superhuman endurance. The skill, energy and concentration displayed during the show were mind-boggling. After a high-energy performance of ‘Far Cry’ the band left the stage to a rapturous standing ovation. Then, as if that wasn’t enough, they returned to perform an encore including the legendary ‘La Villa Strangiato’, one of the most technically-complex rock instrumentals ever made, clocking in at well over 9 minutes.


The pictures of the concert, on this blog, I took with a compact camera and my BlackBerry; ‘professional’ photographic equipment wasn’t allowed at the concert. There is no shortage of Rush imagery to be found, but nothing compares with the connection you have with pictures that you’ve taken yourself. Somehow, I managed to capture both Alex and Neil staring right at me. In this image-dominated world, Rush may not be as famous as some less skilled bands. They may not be considered ‘cool’ by the style police; but as far as I’m concerned, their skill as musicians is unrivalled, and I love them. ~ Wayne Gerard Trotman

Interview with Philip Chen


Philip Chen has been called a renaissance man, just because he can't seem to hold down a career.  In his professional life, Phil has been an ocean research engineer, environmental and energy engineer, a trial attorney, financial securities attorney, investment banker, corporate executive, private equity fund manager in Africa, strategic consultant, cartoonist, website manager, and author; doesn't everybody?  He has degrees from the University of Virginia, Stanford University and the University of Minnesota.


1.     Tell us about ‘Falling Star’.

Falling Star is a highly realistic science fiction thriller about the accidental discovery in 1967 of mysterious, but mute, objects buried deep in the ocean and what happened when they woke up in 1993 and began sending messages to outer space.  Mike, pulled from his opulent office high over Manhattan to finish a job he had started as a young navy ensign decades earlier, is strangely attacked by gangs of what looked like ordinary Americans.  Though conditioned by his years in the clandestine agency to deal with such inexplicable events, Mike is also confronted with the death of a revered friend, an event that shakes him to the core.  Will the death of this friend mean that the secrets of the submerged objects will remain forever buried in the silt and muck of the ocean bottom?

Many readers of this novel often wonder if, "this story might not be fiction at all, but something very real and very disturbing."  Noted book critic Alan Caruba says, "If you read just one novel in 2011, make it Falling Star."

2.     Why did you write this book, and what do you hope to achieve with it?

In 1990, I had a series of very troubling nightmares in which gangs of what looked like ordinary Americans roamed the landscape killing people and burning buildings.  In these vivid dreams, I saw skyscrapers collapse in flames and people dying horrible deaths.  When I wrote this novel in 1991, it was as though a heavy burden was lifted from my shoulders and the dreams stopped.  I tried for twenty years to get this story published, but was resisted at every step by ‘legacy’ literary agents and publishers. 

On September 11, 2001, as I saw the Twin Towers explode and then come crashing down in flames.  I was shocked.  When it came out that the terrorists had lived among us as they trained to attack the very country that had welcomed them, it was chilling.  Some were here for decades as they learned engineering and other subjects from prominent universities.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Page Two".

For almost six years, during the 1980s, my various offices were on the 100th to 106th floor of Two World Trade Center.  In fact, the office that I described in my novel from which Mike is abruptly pulled back into the clandestine agency is almost an exact replica of my office as a managing director of Lehman Brothers.  Second, my story described terrorists who lived among us for decades as they plotted to attack America.

Following September 11th, I rewrote my novel to take out references to 2 WTC from my novel.  I did not want people to think that I was trying to capitalize on that disaster.  In the original text I had Mike's office on the 100th floor of that tower.  Thereafter, Mike's office was described as being in an unidentified office tower in lower Manhattan. As Paul Harvey always said in concluding his broadcasts, "Now you know the rest of the story."

This is a very realistic story, which uses real events and real science to draw the reader into a tale of intrigue.  By using details, I hoped to have the reader experience the action, not as an observer but as a participant.  Mr. Caruba pointed this out in his strong recommendation: "This novel stands out for the way you are introduced not just to the characters, but the physical reality in which they live, the sights and even the smells."


3.     Is there an underlying message in ‘Falling Star’?

Though classified as a science fiction thriller, there are several messages that are delivered through the pages.  One is that this is a self-discovery book, in which the things that occur to the characters propel them to take actions that they might not have normally chosen.  In this novel, moral dilemmas also play a force in certain characters as they struggle with what they are doing and what will be the outcomes of those actions.

4.     You are an environmental and energy engineer, holding a U.S. Patent for an underwater mooring system. Has this specialist experience and knowledge helped you to create this work, and if so, how?

From a general sense, my technical capabilities helped me in describing the details that I believe make this book unusual and believable.  Specifically, my role as an ocean research engineer, who had worked with deep-sea submergence systems, provided me with a rich background for the scenes that are at the beginning of the story.  In fact, I worked as a test program engineer on a free swimming vehicle very much like the fictional submersible Squid in the story.

5.     Of the characters you’ve created, do you have a favourite? If so, why this particular character?

Mildred.  Mildred is a sweet old Norwegian grandmother who lives in Crookston, Minnesota, on the banks of the prehistoric Lake Agassiz.  She is the proprietor of a very popular Scandinavian hobby store.  Mother to four lovely daughters and countless towheaded grandchildren, Mildred enjoys her retirement from her days as a researcher for the U.S. State Department.  However, Mildred has a secret, something so unnatural that she hides it from everyone, including her long-suffering husband.

6.     How is writing science fiction or fantasy different from writing other genres?

My novel is science fiction, based on science fact.  As such it is not as different from writing in other genres as one might think.

7.     What did you find most rewarding in the writing process?

My nightmares went away.

Eagle Spaceship

8.     What did you find most challenging in the writing process, and how did you overcome it?

The writing process was easy.  It almost seemed that the characters lined up to tell me their stories one-by-one.  The hard part was getting the hide-bound agents and publishers of the legacy ‘Dead Tree Book’ industry to buy my story. 

For twenty years, no one wanted to read my story about foreign spies hiding in plain view for decades in America.  My spies married innocent Americans, raised children, bought homes, held mundane jobs and stole the identities of dead babies.  I could just hear these defenders of literature laughing their heads off about how preposterous my story was.  Spies hiding in plain view in our country? That could never happen; not in America!  Until, of course, it did in June 2010, when Russians were found to have been doing exactly what my fictional spies had done for twenty years.  The only difference was that my spies did not grow hydrangeas.  One of my spies was even a gorgeous female posing as a financial consultant.  That is when I decided to self-publish, which I did on August 4, 2010.

I realize that the foregoing sounds far-fetched and detractors will claim that I wrote my story between June 2010 and August 2010, (would it be that I was so prolific).  If anyone is curious about my claim, please refer to my Scribd.com account where I started posting excerpts from Falling Star in May 2009.

9.     What have you done to promote and market your book, and what advice would you give to other authors?

When I launched my book on August 4, 2010, I knew absolutely nothing about self-publishing.  I had to learn as I went along.  Luckily, I chanced onto a great site called the KindleBoards where they have a forum called the Writers' Café.  The members of the KindleBoards are the most helpful group of people you will find on the web and are always willing to give advice and suggestions.  Through the KindleBoards, you can also learn about review sites and other opportunities to market your book. http://KindleBoards.com

Some of the things that I have done have been to seek out reviewers, participate on various forums, conduct giveaways, support other authors, and generally be a participant in the process.  The toughest part of self-publishing is marketing your book.

Robots Take Over

10.  Who, do you imagine, would be your ideal reader?

My ideal reader is someone, male or female, who likes to participate in the story.  I am truly surprised at the wide range of readers, who have self-identified as not being fans of science fiction thrillers, that genuinely like Falling Star.

11.  What advice would you give to help others build the confidence required to write their first book?

Just do it.  There is no time like the present and the barriers to entry are non-existent.  Do not fear failure.  You will survive and do better the next time around.

12.  Would you like to see your book adapted for the screen? If so, do you have any aspirations, or reservations, regarding this?

Many reviewers have commented on the visual aspects of my book and how they feel that it would be ideal as a movie.  My greatest fear is that once the movie industry gets a hold of your book, what comes out is never what went it. 

13.  Tell us a little about a good science fiction or fantasy book you’ve read recently.

Passengers to Zeta Nine by Peter Salisbury, a British author, is one of those stories that will stand the test of time.  The reason that I say this is my belief that good science fiction will tell you about places to which you can never go.  Great science fiction is when the author tells you how to get there.  Peter's story is of the latter sort.  I highly recommend it to any one who wants to read a story that will be a future classic.

Fuel-Efficient Cars

 14.  What are you doing now?

In addition to Falling Star, I recently released the inaugural collection of cartoons from my cartoon blog, There is Strangeness in the Universe ™.  This cartoon series is based on a real astronomical theory that a parallel universe filled with strange matter must exist in order to maintain cosmic balance in ours.  Without formal art or cartoon training, I started exploring this parallel universe at the tender age of 63.  My cartoons have been favourably compared to Gary Larson's "Far Side".  You can check it out at Amazon.com.

At this moment, my wife and I are moving from New Jersey to Michigan to be closer to my daughter's family.  Once settled, I expect to take up finishing the sequel to Falling Star.

15.  Describe ‘Falling Star’ in one sentence.

Falling Star is a highly realistic science fiction thriller about mysterious objects buried in the ocean and what happens when they wake up.

16.  Where can we find you and your book?

Falling Star is available as a Kindle and a Nook book, as well as a paperback. 

Summer Clam Bake

Links:

Puget Sound Speaks (Home of the Independent Authors Forum)

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Interview with Kristy Doherty


Kristy Doherty is a digital artist from Northern Ireland where she studied art for 3 years before graduating in 2008. Since then, Kristy has been developing a portfolio of excellent work, created using Photoshop. She has experience in the competitive world of professional publishing, and is a commissioned artist for Penguin Books design department. Her clients include Penguin Books Australia, and Subterranean Press USA, for titles such as ‘Saltwater Vampires’ by Kristy Eager, and ‘A Fantasy Medley’ edited by Yanni Kuznia and featuring short stories by various writers including Robin Hobb, Kelley Armstrong, Kate Elliott and C. E. Murphy.


1.     Tell us about your artwork.

I like my artwork to tell a story, and to have as many emotions as possible. I also like to create different themes such as dark, fantasy, macro etc.

 
2.     Why did you choose digital art, and what do you hope to achieve with it?

The reason I chose digital art, is because I enjoy creating different pieces using Photoshop.  Creating in Photoshop helps me to be more imaginative and I have more freedom to play around with what I am trying to create. I would love to gain more success with the images that I have created.

3.     Is there an underlying theme or message in your work?
There are a lot of different messages, such as love, hate and death; but I’m aware that those who look at my work might experience completely different emotions to me.


4.     You have produced work for major publishing houses. Tell us about this, and particularly how your work evolved as a result of it.

Well my first cover was produced from a photograph I shot and manipulated. When I first received the email I was very excited because I couldn’t believe that someone wanted to use it for a book cover. The book is called ‘A Fantasy Medley’. Then, Penguin Books in Australia got in contact with me, to use a stock manipulated piece for a book called ‘Saltwater Vampires’.

5.     How is creating digital art different from other forms?

Well, it’s creating on a computer - that’s the only difference; you’re still using your imagination and your creative mind along with it.

6.     Of the artwork you’ve created, do you have a favourite? If so, why this particular work?

No, I don’t have a favourite yet.


7.     What do you find most rewarding in the creative process?

I love when my fans take the time to view, favourite and comment on my work. And I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from completing a piece, and viewing it on my websites afterwards.

8.     What do you find most challenging in the creative process, and how do you overcome it?

The most challenging part of the creative process is coming up with new ideas. Sometimes things just click, and you know you have something that works, but it often takes a lot of time searching for stock images.

9.     What have you done to promote and market your artwork, and what advice would you give to other digital artists?

I’ve set up profiles on RedBubble, Zazzle and deviantArt, and now its all a matter of waiting.

10.  Who, do you imagine, would be your ideal client?

Any client would be a dream for me.

11.  What advice would you give to help others build the skill and confidence required to produce digital art?

Just keep practising, and look up tutorials online as well. Also, don’t be afraid to ask those who have had more experience producing art, any relevant questions.

12.  What aspirations, or reservations, do you have regarding your art being used in film and television?

I don’t get inspired by television or films - music is my inspiration. I love listening to Nirvana, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Adele and many more.

13.  Tell us a little about any interesting art you’ve seen recently.

I’ve come across a lot interesting pieces, especially on deviantArt and a new website I’ve found called StumbleUpon. There are a lot of inspiring pieces on both websites.

14.  What are you doing now?

I’ve just finished creating a pirate piece.

15.  Describe your art in one sentence.

Awesome.

16.  Where can we find you and your art?

You can find me on deviantArt and RedBubble where my username is 1chick1