Wednesday 20 July 2011

Interview with Kristy Doherty


Kristy Doherty is a digital artist from Northern Ireland where she studied art for 3 years before graduating in 2008. Since then, Kristy has been developing a portfolio of excellent work, created using Photoshop. She has experience in the competitive world of professional publishing, and is a commissioned artist for Penguin Books design department. Her clients include Penguin Books Australia, and Subterranean Press USA, for titles such as ‘Saltwater Vampires’ by Kristy Eager, and ‘A Fantasy Medley’ edited by Yanni Kuznia and featuring short stories by various writers including Robin Hobb, Kelley Armstrong, Kate Elliott and C. E. Murphy.


1.     Tell us about your artwork.

I like my artwork to tell a story, and to have as many emotions as possible. I also like to create different themes such as dark, fantasy, macro etc.

 
2.     Why did you choose digital art, and what do you hope to achieve with it?

The reason I chose digital art, is because I enjoy creating different pieces using Photoshop.  Creating in Photoshop helps me to be more imaginative and I have more freedom to play around with what I am trying to create. I would love to gain more success with the images that I have created.

3.     Is there an underlying theme or message in your work?
There are a lot of different messages, such as love, hate and death; but I’m aware that those who look at my work might experience completely different emotions to me.


4.     You have produced work for major publishing houses. Tell us about this, and particularly how your work evolved as a result of it.

Well my first cover was produced from a photograph I shot and manipulated. When I first received the email I was very excited because I couldn’t believe that someone wanted to use it for a book cover. The book is called ‘A Fantasy Medley’. Then, Penguin Books in Australia got in contact with me, to use a stock manipulated piece for a book called ‘Saltwater Vampires’.

5.     How is creating digital art different from other forms?

Well, it’s creating on a computer - that’s the only difference; you’re still using your imagination and your creative mind along with it.

6.     Of the artwork you’ve created, do you have a favourite? If so, why this particular work?

No, I don’t have a favourite yet.


7.     What do you find most rewarding in the creative process?

I love when my fans take the time to view, favourite and comment on my work. And I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from completing a piece, and viewing it on my websites afterwards.

8.     What do you find most challenging in the creative process, and how do you overcome it?

The most challenging part of the creative process is coming up with new ideas. Sometimes things just click, and you know you have something that works, but it often takes a lot of time searching for stock images.

9.     What have you done to promote and market your artwork, and what advice would you give to other digital artists?

I’ve set up profiles on RedBubble, Zazzle and deviantArt, and now its all a matter of waiting.

10.  Who, do you imagine, would be your ideal client?

Any client would be a dream for me.

11.  What advice would you give to help others build the skill and confidence required to produce digital art?

Just keep practising, and look up tutorials online as well. Also, don’t be afraid to ask those who have had more experience producing art, any relevant questions.

12.  What aspirations, or reservations, do you have regarding your art being used in film and television?

I don’t get inspired by television or films - music is my inspiration. I love listening to Nirvana, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Adele and many more.

13.  Tell us a little about any interesting art you’ve seen recently.

I’ve come across a lot interesting pieces, especially on deviantArt and a new website I’ve found called StumbleUpon. There are a lot of inspiring pieces on both websites.

14.  What are you doing now?

I’ve just finished creating a pirate piece.

15.  Describe your art in one sentence.

Awesome.

16.  Where can we find you and your art?

You can find me on deviantArt and RedBubble where my username is 1chick1

No comments:

Post a Comment